background

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Homestyle Heaven

I'm pretty embarrassed I haven't posted in a while....actually forever. Life seems to have become extra busy the past two months. Plus, I joined 24 hour fitness instead of working out at our apartment gym (bc a creep was watching me workout at 5 am when there are no blinds on windows...a whole different story)...so cooking during the week has turned to 30 minute meals instead of a new recipe here and there.

A few weeks ago Chris reallyyyy wanted to smoke some ribs in his new smoker, so I figured this would give me a chance to make some yummy sides. Chris looked up a rib rub on the internet and we tailored it to our taste along with putting it in a "special spice shaker" so we could use it over and over.


We decided on mac & cheese, skillet cream corn, and Perini's Jack Daniels bread pudding for dessert. The mac & cheese was just a simple recipe out of my Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook (that I use for everything) and of course the on alteration I made was whole wheat pasta.



Melt butter and add milk and flour (to make  a roux) and then add cream and cheese and stir until it forms a nice cheese sauce.

Mix with cooked pasta and top with cheese and place in oven for 20ish minutes.


Viola!


The skillet cream corn contained bacon, onion, cream, basil, and a few other spices. Ours didn't turn out to be quite as good as I was expecting because I tried to cut the recipe in half and using bacon I had already cooked.

Cook bacon in skillet.


Once cooked remove and add chopped onions cook until crispy tender and add corn.


Add cream basil and other spices and heat through. Once in serving dish top with crumbled bacon.


So our meal was complete!


My Perini's cookbook is one of our favorite wedding presents. We use it ALL the time.



If you're entertaining and are looking for a dessert that is easy but fancy at the same time, bread pudding is the way to go! Plus, you can dress it up even more by making it in ramekins.

All you need to eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, pecans and sour dough bread. Cut bread into small 1-2 inch squares. Combine all wet ingredients and sugar and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over bread and pecans and bake for an hour at 350 degrees.


When your ready to serve it, melt butter in a small sauce pan and combine cream, vanilla and Jack Daniels. Bring to a slow rolling boil (while stirring constantly) and allow to thicken while stirring approx 5 minutes.


Pour over cooked bread pudding and served with Butter Pecan ice cream...that is the ONLY way to go!

Yum!!!

I think I've found my favorite summer cocktail. White Sangria! I found the recipe on the Pottery Barn website and it is by far the most amazing refreshing drink out there.

Here's a link to the recipe : White Sangria


I used Ginger Ale instead of Club Soda.


Combine fruit, sugar, Peach Brandy and Limoncello and stir until sugar is dissolved. Then pour dry white wine over top and let flavors marinate overnight if possible. *side note: I made this recipe again a few weeks later with strawberries added.....amazing. Add Ginger Ale just before serving!

Well Leanna and Chris have convinced me that I can run a 10K so training starts in a week! I'm sure I'll be blogging about my progress so wish me luck! :)

Much Love,
Whit













No comments:

Post a Comment